New Paper Released:
As part of the U.S. IOOS Data Management and Cyberinfrastructure (DMAC) core services, the U.S. IOOS Program Office has issued "QARTOD - Prospects for Real-Time Quality Control Manuals, How to Create Them, and a Vision for Advanced Implementation". The paper considers the applicability of real-time QC for the IOOS core variables not yet addressed by a QARTOD manual, and describes how they will be created when appropriate.
- QARTOD - Prospects for Real-Time Quality Control Manuals, How to Create Them, and a Vision for Advanced Implementation
Follow QARTOD on LinkedIn
Real-time Quality Control Manuals
These manuals are living documents that reflect the state-of-the-art QC testing procedures for real-time in-situ current observations.
- Real-Time Quality Control of pH Data Observations
- Real-Time Quality Control of Stream Flow Observations
- Real-Time Quality Control of Passive Acoustics Data
- Real-Time Quality Control of Phytoplankton Data
- Real-Time Quality Control of HF Radar Observations
- Real-Time Quality Control of Dissolved Nutrients Observations
- Real-Time Quality Control of Wind Data
- Real-Time Quality Control of Water Level Data
- Real-Time Quality Control of In-Situ Surface Wave Data
- Real-Time Quality Control of Ocean Optics Data
- Real-Time Quality Control of In-Situ Temperature and Salinity Data
- Real-Time Quality Control of Dissolved Oxygen Observations in Coastal Oceans
- Real-Time Quality Control of In-Situ Current Observations
- Manual for Oceanographic Data Quality Control Flags
The Manual for the Use of Real-Time Oceanographic Data Quality Control Flags provides information to operators of ocean observing systems about the purpose and protocols of marking or flagging data, so that subsequent use of the data can be properly controlled by both users and automated processes. It also provides an excellent reference for various schemes currently in use in the global ocean observing community.
The key objective of QARTOD is to sustain a process for establishing QA/QC procedures that will:
- Establish authoritative QA/QC procedures for the U.S. IOOS core variables, as necessary, including detailed information about the sensors and procedures used to measure the variables.
- Produce written manuals for these QA/QC procedures
- From the list of individual QA/QC procedures and guidelines developed, define a baseline set of QA/QC procedures that can be used for certification of RCOOS data providers
- Facilitate QA/QC integration with Global Ocean Observing System (GOOS) and other international ocean observation efforts
- Engage the Federal Agencies and IOOS Regions that are part of, or contribute to, US IOOS who will use the established QA/QC procedure
- Work efficiently, without duplication of effort, to facilitate the implementation of common QA/QC procedures amongst US IOOS Partners.
QARTOD is a continuing multi-agency effort that started in 2003.
Meet the QARTOD Board of Advisors
QARTOD Meetings - Access agendas, reports, presentations and more from the QARTOD Meetings.
The Project Plan describes how the project works, deliverables, the roles and the responsibilities of the participants, the structure of the QARTOD, and information about the key supporting organizations/roles.
QARTOD Core Variable/Sensor Matrix - Revised: May 2019
- The status of QARTOD manuals addressing the 34 IOOS Core Variables
- Proposal to the CF governance committee to add QARTOD-inspired standard names to CF
- Full set of CF standard names available to identify QARTOD flag ancillary variables can be found in the CF Standard Name Table v72. The search tool can be employed to find quality-related flag variable names.
- Implementation of these standardized flag names are further described, and an example is provided, in the IOOS Metadata Profile Version 1.2 here.
- Further documentation of IOOS QARTOD and other QC tests, implemented in Python with notebook examples, have been developed by the community and are shared here and here.
- Manual for Quality Control of Temperature and Salinity Data Observations from Gliders
- CDIP Waves QARTOD Quality Control Tests
- Real-Time Quality Control Experiences using QARTOD in Australian Ports