The Eyes on the Ocean™ Bi-weekly is an informal way of keeping you up-to-date on U.S. IOOS® activities.
Email us to get it delivered to your inbox, and connect with us to keep up with the latest news!
From the Director:
Hello IOOS Community and Happy New Year!
Some changes are coming to IOOS and the Eyes on the Ocean that we wanted to share with you before we resume the full newsletter later this month.
The first is that we're growing! U.S. IOOS has two new job announcements open for a Surface Currents Program Manager and a Coastal Modeling Portfolio Manager (based at IOOS but working across the entire National Ocean Service here at NOAA). Please look below for details on these and other key opportunities in the IOOS family that are open this month.
The second change is to the Eyes on the Ocean newsletter itself. The next editions of the newsletter will go out on January 22 using a new delivery mechanism called GovDelivery. The newsletter will still come to your inbox and the look won't change much, but it will be coming from a new email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. For some of you, it may be significant that it’s now a “.com,” but it’s still us! If you don't receive a newsletter on January 22, please contact us at: email@example.com.
Job & Internship Opportunities:
- Surface Current Program Manager, U.S. IOOS: U.S. IOOS is hiring for a Program Manager to provide leadership and direction for the Surface Current Program with the management of intra- and extra-mural research and operational activities, development of program objectives, evaluation of progress, identification of opportunities for partnerships and communication of project goals and outcomes, and organization and participation in conferences, meetings, and panels. Closes 1/22/2020. Click here for more info and to apply: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/555688500
- Coastal Modeling Portfolio Manager, U.S. IOOS: U.S. IOOS is hiring a scientist to serve as the senior expert and technical advisor, with responsibility for establishing long range program objectives, requirements, and formulating plans for the portfolio of coastal modeling projects across the National Ocean Service. Click here for more info and to apply: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/555688400
- Executive Director, NERACOOS: The key roles of the Executive Director are to lead, manage, and inspire staff, principal investigators, partners, and board members to collectively sustain and improve a regional ocean observing system that is responsive to the information needs of the Northeast. The Executive Director is the principal spokesperson for the organization and will travel extensively to represent NERACOOS locally, nationally, and occasionally internationally, and to provide regional leadership and guidance. Click here for more info and to apply: http://www.neracoos.org/edjobsearch
- AOOS Regional Data Sharing Coordinator: The Alaska Ocean Observing System (AOOS) is searching for a self-motivated individual with excellent organizational and communication skills to coordinate – and serve as the primary AOOS staff – for two new AOOS projects enhancing regional ocean data sharing. This is a full-time position based in Anchorage, available for 2 years, with the opportunity to extend longer as additional funding opportunities allow. Closes 1/27/2020. Click here for more info and to apply: https://aoos.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/AOOS-regional-data-sharing-coordinator-position-description-final-010820.pdf
- Senior Environmental Scientist: The California Ocean Protection Council (OPC) is hiring a Senior Environmental Scientist (Specialist) to lead its Marine Protected Area (MPA) Program. OPC is a Cabinet-level state policy body that works to ensure healthy coastal and ocean ecosystems by advancing innovative, science-based policy and management, making strategic investments, and catalyzing action through partnerships and collaboration. Closes 1/29/2020. Click here for more info and to apply: https://jobs.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Jobs/JobPosting.aspx?JobControlId=187238